Spring Pond Care Checklist
Spring Pond Care Checklist – General Guidelines
Use this handy checklist to make sure you are getting the most out of your spring pond care.
- Once spring arrives and water temperatures are above 45 degrees Farenheit, look over your pond or water feature and remove organic debris (twigs, leaves, etc.) from in and around it. Use a Skimmer Rake or Pond Vac for this task. This is important not only for aesthetic reasons but this debris if left, will decompose producing ammonia and poor water quality.
- Reassemble the filtration system and start it up. Check for leaks and proper flow rate.
- Jump start your biological filtration with bacterial additives to replace those lost over the winter.
- Measure water parameters and monitor the development of nitrifying bacteria in your filtration system with a good test kit.
- Have a pond aerator handy to promote proper gas exchange. Unseasonably warm spring days can encourage abrupt nitrifying bacterial activity that can rapidly deplete dissolved oxygen levels in your pond.
- Get your UV clarifier system up and running to keep your water crystal clear throughout the spring and summer season.
- Get those green thumbs wet. Early spring is the best time to re-pot pond plants. Add fertilizer to water lilies to give them a good start.
- Start feeding pond fish easier-to-digest, wheat germ food when water temperature stays consistently above 50 degrees Farenheit.
Spring Pond Care Suggested Products
We are passionate about pond care and offer these suggested products to help you get going to jump start your spring pond care! Ponds need proper maintenance to avoid stratification and buildup of chemicals that can be toxic to your precious fish and plants.
Spring is also the best time to start new aquatic plants, so be sure to get your green thumb ready!
This group of products should help get you started, feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. We are here to help!
Pond Clean-up Tools
Spring Pond Care – Filtration
Start-Up Water Conditioners
Spring Pond Care – Water Testing
Spring Pond Care – Aeration
Spring Pond Care – Clarifiers
Spring Pond Care – Plant Care Products
Spring Pond Care – Pond Tabs